Ice Fishing Safety Tips
Ice Fishing Seminar
- Attach a long cord to your sled. Not only does this make the
sled easier to pull but should someone fall through the ice you
can push the sled to them holding onto the line.
- Carry two picks - spikes protruding from wooden hand holds -
to help pull your way out if you should fall in.
- If you should fall through the ice, once you spike your way
out or are pulled out, don't stand - roll across the ice in the
direction you came.
- Carry a throwable seat cushion. It'll add to your seating
comfort and give you something throw to someone fallen through.
- Keep your auger covered. The blades are sharp, and can
easily cut you, your dog or your children.
- Spray vegetable oil on your auger and snowshoes. Snow won't
stick and you won't cut yourself cleaning off the show.
- Wear creepers. Slip on, or spiked shoes will keep you from
slipping and falling on the ice.